What would happen if you turned it all off? You’re angry, suspicious of everyone’s tone AND you are stressed that your small business has not made 1 million dollars in a month. Your sleep rhythm is off, a little short-tempered and using more makeup than you should because your skin is flaking like crazy!
It’s a comforting form of escape. The memes are hilarious! You are learning so much from different articles that are being shared and honestly, where would you be without the internet and social media?
Now, the thought of turning it off gives you an uncomfortable feeling. Its FOMO – Fear of missing out – you don’t want to be the last to know when a certain celebrity does something shocking or the latest viral Tik Tok. You simply can’t stop looking!
How about turning it off for a set time? ( I would suggest turning it on for a set time but that has not worked in the past ( It hasnt worked for me!) )
- How about no social media in the afternoon? or morning?
- How about you change the way you catch up with the news? There are many podcasts/email lists that give you a short summary of the news that way you don’t get sucked in and need to come up for air two hours later.
- How about really deciding which forms of social media you enjoy and are actually using ( do you really need Snapchat? Do you even know how twitter works? Is your LinkedIn gathering dust? )
- How about not using a certain social media account for a month and see how you feel?
- How about allowing ourself to play around with how you use social media and seeing if the anxiety, depression and tenseness disappears?
Try not to theorise about what would happen if you did turn it off, why not do it and what happens?