Why don’t some Millenials hire life coaches? Its simple
- They don’t know what coaching is ( is it like therapy? Do we sit around and only talk about my problems)
- They automatically assume they cannot afford it ( without exploring if they really need it, or how much it costs, or if the benefits outweigh the costs)
- They think that there is something wrong with them mentally or emotionally if they do hire a coach
Let’s clear up what coaching is and why YOU should hire one.
A coach is a person that has meaningful conversations with to help you find answers.
‘I can do that with my friends.’ Sure you can, but your friends may have some blind spots that are not helpful, and you need a neutral person that can hold you accountable and is not afraid to call your bull once you start spouting it.
What can a coach help you with? Well, that depends on what you want to achieve. There are different kinds of coaches, life coaches, business coaches, wellness coaches just to name a few.
Coaches can help you with :
- Figuring out your personal and professional goals – What paths can you take? How can you make better decisions? What are the paths that are open to you?
- Help you develop better relational and life habits – Do you want to sleep better, eat healthier, read more, run a marathon? A coach can help you formulate a plan that works for you ( because you know you’ve been saying for years that you will do it and you just haven’t)
- Mindset change – Why do you think the way you do? What is holding you back? What’s the root of this thinking?
A good coach will help you figure stuff out and equip you to be able to make the decision by yourself, and be a guide ( or kick in the pants) when you need it, so you can keep moving forward towards the goal that you have set.
SO what are the benefits of being coached?
- Confidence – You develop a better sense and trust in yourself, and your capabilities. You set better boundaries, your self worth and self-image improve. This is a big one. ( This a why my coaching school is called The Confidence School )
- Control and Ownership – It’s you, you’ve got this. You no longer sit back and let life happen to you, you make life happen baby.
- Communication – You learn how to communicate what you need and whats works for you clearly and concisely without feeling guilty or scared.
- Inspired and driven – you learn how to stay motivated even when you don’t ‘feel like it’, you stop procrastinating because you finally have a goal. You identify signs of self-sabotage and know what to do when you start feeling blah about something.
- Contentment – You feel more content with a life YOU have chosen and not on that just falls in your lap.
I am a millennial too and let me tell you that hiring a coach ( two in fact!) was one of the best things I have ever done ( Mark DeJesus and Kim Argetsinger. I was so afraid to pay all this money and then not see the results I wanted ( is this really going to help me?), I was not sure if the coach would be someone that I was comfortable with ( will they get me?). This last question is the reason I choose to work mostly with millennials in The Confidence School because we are not sure if someone will understand what it’s like being us. The pressure to succeed, be cool, be at all the brunches, drink all the mimosas, be career-driven but ready to vacation at the hot spots at the drop of a hat while keeping the insta feed fresh and that youthful glow. Oh did I mention being vulnerable, empathetic and dealing with daily disasters in the news involving race, wars, misogyny and straight-up foolery? Sticking to your religious beliefs while the world changes and challenges?
Hiring a coach is a great way to get the help that you need to get to a place you want to get to. Coaching looks toward the future, whereas therapy often looks to the past.
If you would love to learn more about coaching or can think of someone that needs a kick in the pants.. send them my email address – email@example.com , and we will have some wonderful meaningful conversations.